Wednesday, September 6, 2023

One Piece (2023 Live Action)

It is the Golden Age of Pirates.  Many around the world take to the seas not just to earn a name and a reputation but also to find the lost treasure of Gold Roger, the One Piece, hidden somewhere in the Grand Line.  Monkey D. Luffy is one of the many aspiring Pirates looking to claim Gold Rogers title of King of the Pirates.  But it will take more than just finding the One Piece.  It’ll require guts, courage, a fast ship and a loyal crew to watch his back.  No matter the challenge, nothing is going to stand in the way of Luffy fulfilling his dream on the adventure of a lifetime.

When I heard that Netflix was actually going ahead with a Live Action One Piece series, my first reaction was “you’ve got to be kidding me.”  It wasn’t just because this was announced right around the time Cowboy Bebop arrived on Netflix and I can still see the smoldering ruins to this day.  No it’s because of how long the Anime and Manga have become in the last 25 years.  Just how the heck is Netflix planning on doing this with a project the has zero end in sight (despite what the author claims I still don’t think the Manga or Anime will be done for another few years).  Still, as an Anime fan who isn’t big on One Piece, I still waited to see how this would all play out.  Initial buzz had been positive and several friends who do like the Anime had shared their optimism thanks to Netflix receiving direct input and blessings from series creator Eiichiro Oda himself.  This has lead the Live Action One Piece to become one of, if not the, most anticipated title of 2023 for Anime fans.  So, the pressure as high as it can be: does One Piece sink or swim?
 
The 8 episode first season covers several storylines from the Animes first season.  Naturally, this comes with a few challenges of cramming almost 40 episode (I think, did I mention the Anime is close to 1100 episodes?), into 8 1 hour episodes.  For example, I feel like the show could have done a better job integrating the backstories of each character a bit better.  Some like Luffy, Nami and Usopp’s do factor into their own episodes but Zoro and Sanji’s feel like entirely separate episodes unto themselves.  They’re all good, don’t get me wrong (dear God Sanji’s backstory is rough to watch).  But I feel like cutting away to these cuts off precious time we could use to see the Straw Hats interacting more in the present when things aren’t going to hell in a handbasket.  Part of me thinks it’s Netflix covering their bases should they decide not to renew One Piece for a Second Season.  Fair enough but as I’ll explain, I don’t think they have anything to worry about anymore.
 
The world of One Piece is one of the most colorful, vibrant and hugely expanded upon in all of Anime.  Translating those visuals to the small screen isn’t an easy feat but the TV Series is always up for taking its shot.  It never feels as huge as the Anime gets, not a bad thing cause there’s still time for that in future seasons.  It does, however, still feel like One Piece.  The sea side towns, the wacky personalities at sea, the kick ass swordplay, everything that makes the Anime and Manga work is all here.  And unlike Cowboy Bebop, One Piece isn’t just relying on visual cues to get the job done.  Each episode give viewers a look at another corner of this water world (sorry I couldn’t help it) and it feels right, rather than forced like some of Bebops more out there additions that made no sense.  Humans with animalistic features walk side by side with other humans.  Every town has some kind of crazy pirate schenanigans happening.  And everywhere you go has a story to tell.  This is a very lived in world with a rich history you want to know more of.  This is a production that understands its source material and is bringing it to life its own way, even if it does take itself too seriously sometimes but I’ll come back to that.
 
The cast, like Bebop’s, is pretty good.  Iñaki Godoy pulls off all of legendary Anime hero Monkey D. Luffy’s eccentricities and excitable energy while still keeping the character very grounded and never going over the top.  Mackenyu continues his string of bringing bad ass Anime character to life with Zoro.  He’s a bit one note in his delivery but he does lighten up as the season continues and its always a pleasure to see him kick some ass with Zoro’s three sword style.  Emily Rudd’s Nami feels a bit more rough compared to her Anime counterpart but she’s always a strong part of the heart of One Piece and she arguably goes through the most important character arc of the season.  Jacob Romero Gibson is a joy as Usopp, playing the comic relief who never gets annoying and you have to admire his bravery and heart despite his wanting to run away from really big problems.  I really wish we spent more time with Taz Skylar’s Sanji as he comes in around the halfway mark.  It’s one of the reasons why I wish this season had been 10 episodes instead of 8.  Sanji is probably my favorite of the bunch with his too cool for school culinary skills and incredibly friendly and noble demeanor and I want to see more of how he bounces off the others, especially his quiet rivalry with Zoro. 
 
There are other standout characters like Morgan Davis’ Koby, who gets more of an arc than I imagined and the always excellent Vincent Regan as Garp as a Marine Admiral with a bone to pick with Luffy.  Probably the biggest stand out character of the season though is Jeff Ward (who plays my man Deke on Marvel’s Agents of SHEILD) as Buggy the Clown.  What could have been played as a One Piece version of the Joker never reaches that kind of cliché and instead goes for a nice balance of twisted humor and scary villainy.  The combination of the awesome make up, visual effects and Ward chewing the scenery at every opportunity helps Buggy steal the show and I know he’s gonna be a fan favorite for One Piece’s first season.  Shoutout as well to McKinley Belcher III as Arlong.  The makeup effects on him are great and I cant help but love his voice, very Star Trek Klingon.  Also how cool is it they got Ian freaking McShane to do the opening narraration for Gold Roger’s execution?  I know he’s pricey but can we get more of him in Season 2 please? 
Like I said above, this iteration of One Piece does remain faithful to its source material while doing its own thing.  Part of that comes from knowing how much of the wacky visuals to use and when to dial things back and let the characters do the heavy lifting.  I’m surprised Luffy’s rubber techniques were used so frequently but it was equally cool seeing him bounce around and fighting without them at times.  It does make this One Piece feel a bit grounded while still adhering to its epic Anime roots.  I will say, because I don’t watch the Anime, I don’t know how serious somethings get (somethings way down the line for sure but still).  Ergo, I don’t know if some of the more darker moments of the Live Action series merit that kind of dramatic shift in tone while possibly sacrificing the fun and exciting vibe from the Anime.  Does One Piece need to take itself this seriously?  No but I do think all of the rough histories each of these main characters have been through, it makes the victories they achieve all the more worthwhile.  I keep coming back to this, I know, but it’s the exact opposite of how Cowboy Bebop thought being weirder was better when it just reminded everyone how those working on the show didn’t get Cowboy Bebop at all.  One Piece can go dark but never loses sight of the heroes who come out the other side stronger and ready to fight for their dreams because of them.
 
I’m not gonna say this is gonna get me to start the multi months (or years) journey to binge all of the Anime but I have to say, I really enjoyed the First Season of Netflix’s One Piece.  I wont say it’s as polished as say Rurouni Kenshin but with the budget it has to work with, it does an admirable job of starting to lay out the wide and colorful world of Eiichiro Oda’s odyssey.  The main cast nail their characters and I want to see more of them and the Villains and antagonists  who are all layered, complex and a helluva fun collection that perfectly exemplify the unpredictable and high octane world of the Seven Seas.  I didn’t have very high hopes or expectations going into One Piece, just so long as it didn’t turn into another Cowboy Bebop.  Well how ironic is it that the Live Action Series based on an Anime I hardly watch turns out better than a Live Action Anime that totally botched one close to my heart?  I hope reception to this is strong enough for Netflix to give the go ahead for another season…cause holy crap, I cant believe I’m saying this…but they kind of got it right for once.
 
8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment