Wednesday, May 10, 2023

T5W#404-Top 5 Gundams in SD Gundam Battle Alliance

The last couple of weeks I have been immersing myself in a new Gundam game that might very well be my most favorite since Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.  Released in 2022, SD Gundam Battle Alliance follows an Earth Federation Squad Leader and his Operator being plucked from their timeline to defend the Gundam Multiverse.  Honestly, the story is the weakest part and it’s hard to follow (it kind of reminds me of Fate/Grand Order really).  But the real draw is being able to play as dozens of Gundams from across the entire franchises history, from the original series to the newest entries like Gundam Narrative, Hathaway and they just announced there will be a Witch from Mercury expansion as well.  I’ve been experimenting with several suits until I’ve found my go to few, or in most cases one, for every mission and I think I’ve managed to narrow down my five favs.  So, without further ado, let’s jump into my Top 5 Gundams in SD Gundam Battle Alliance.

 
#5-FA-78 Full Armor Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt)

The Full Armor Gundam was built specifically for combat in the hellish Thunderbolt Sector, filled with debris aplenty.  It has the arsenal to deal with said debris and it brings all of this to Battle Alliance and then some.  Missile pods, high powered lasers, this thing is meant for busting up large clusters of enemies either at a distance or smack dab in the middle of them.  It’s melee capabilities aren’t nearly as powerful unless you tweak them but if youre a fan of missile spamming Macross style, this is the closest you get to a Gundam Heavyarms in this game.
 

#4-OZ-13MS Gundam Epyon (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing)
Seeing as how SD Gundam Battle Alliance is a spiritual successor in style to the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series, there’s a ton of up close and personal melee combat.  The Epyon is built for stuff like that and it’s entire skill set is customized just for that.  The Beam Saber alone is capable of mowing down Mobile Suits like it’s mowing the lawn and it also has special attacks for its Heat Rod whip as well.  The Epyon is perfect for duels with Ace level enemies too as it can dish out and take plenty of damage, staying in the fight longer and proving why it’s one of the more ferocious Mobile Suits from Gundam Wing.
 

#3-GN-0000+GNR-010 00 Raiser (Mobile Suit Gundam 00)
One of my all time personal favorites, the 00 Raiser might not be as OP in Battle Alliance as it is in say Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 but it’s still OP as heck.    It can combine its blades into one double edged weapon for a fun dash attack and it has some smaller blades that can knock down regular enemies for an easy win.  Best of all is its TRANS-AM special mode.  Not only do you get to form one huge Beam Saber for an initial devastating attack but you can also stay in TRANS-AM for a short while for bonus damage.  It does have the downside of having all of its abilities needing a reset once it wears off but if you’re a good enough pilot, that’s not a weakness any enemy can exploit in the 00 Rasier.
 

#2-RX-105 Xi Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway)
I managed to download all of the current DLC’s available for the game (thanks Game Pass) and I quickly unlocked both of the main Gundam’s from Gundam Hathaway.  Of the two, I’ve spent a great deal of time with the Xi Gundam (the one piloted by Hathaway in the movie).  While I’m not too fond of the overly bulky design (kind of reminds me of a Metal Gear/Mobile Armor), there’s no denying this thing is one seriously powerful machine.  The Xi’s Beam Sabers can wreck anything in seconds and it also has an abundance of missiles and Funnel turrets that can all be unleashed in one sweet super move that’s saved me plenty of times against tougher enemies. I might be growing fond of this Gundam thanks to this game.
 

#1-RX-78NT-1 Gundam NT-1 Alex (Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket)
As fun as it has been to quickly get used to the strength of the Xi Gundam, the Alex has been the Gundam I’ve used to most in this game, so much it might as well by my main.  The Alex is a perfect balance of all three types of classes of Combatant in this game: it’s Beam Rifle works great at long range and it’s Sabers heavy blow can deal good damage even if it needs a good wind up to pull off.  I also love the arm cannons that, like the 00 Raiser’s knives, can stun a regular enemy (theyre probably how I first discovered those kinds of moves existed.  Best of all, the Alex’s Special Move involves it dawning its heavy armor and becoming a bare knuckle boxing brawler with increased strength and slightly increased health.  The Alex has been my go to for tough situations and has helped me out even when I’ve spent a lot of time with other suits like the 00 Raiser.  At the end of the day though, in this game, THIS is my Gundam.

No comments:

Post a Comment