Wednesday, November 23, 2022

T5W#380-Top 5 Anime Things Im Thankful For in 2022

Thanksgiving is upon us again Dear Readers and it’s been a helluva year.  For me, it’s been a year of challenges that have tested me but I’ve handling them well and life is continuing to get better.  For us Anime fans as a whole, as we move further into a Post Covid period, life returns a bit more to normal everyday.  More importantly, our favorite entertainment medium has had the best year ever in a long time with new hits, returning favs and bold strides every season.  Tl;dr, there’s a lot to be thankful for this year when it comes to Anime and it’s that time of the year when I come up with five of those for a Top 5 Wednesday…better known as the Top 5 Anime Things Im Thankful For in 2022.
 
#5-Abridged Series Still Rock
It’s been a while since I’ve been on a proper Abridged kick but I still freaking love them.  I’ve already raved about the return of Mobile Suit Abridged Gundam Wing in a recent T5W (see here if you missed it: http://gundamanimeblog.blogspot.com/2022/11/t5w377-top-5-moments-from-mobile-suit.html).  But not only have we gotten new episodes of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works Abridged and Sword Art Online Abridged and the Dragon Ball Z Abridged spin off, Home for Infinite Losers, but a new favorite has joined their ranks as one of the all time greats.  Earlier this year I reviewed the weirdly entertaining Girls Und Panzer.  Well a friend introduced me to an Abridged version of that show too and man is it gut busting funny.  The more foul mouthed and sometimes mean spirited take on the girls of Ooari High is great and this year we even got a new episode that was actually an Abridged version of an OVA that was basically a “lost episode” from the TV Series (the Ooari match against Anzio) and I think it’s my favorite episode of the series to date.  Abridged Series may not be as in demand as they once were but the ones that are still around are amazing and I’m thankful theyre keeping us all laughing together.

 
#4-Retcon 404’s Gundam Retrospective
I stumbled across this purely by accident.  I’ve done my own Gundam Retrospectives here at the Gundam Anime Corner but it’s been a long time since I’ve actually sat down to watch a video history on Youtube (most of the ones I used to watch are no longer available).  Then I came across Retcon 404’s look at Gundam ZZ and I haven’t stopped watching (admittedly I haven’t watched his video on the very first Mobile Suit Gundam and I should rectify that).  The dude’s been going mostly in production order starting from the franchises beginnings and he hasn’t missed any important chapters yet.  He’s even done a hilarious look at G-Saviour, which I thought he was gonna skip but I’m glad he didn’t.  Given all the Gundam I’ve covered in the last couple of years it’s been fun to compare notes with another die hard Gundam fan, especially one who, like me, is seeing several of these shows for the first time.  Retcon 404 is also looking at other Mecha Anime like The Vision of Escaflowne and Patlabor and I would highly recommend giving his page a look.  Also he’s about to get into one of the more divisive eras of Gundam with Gundam Seed and eventually Gundam Seed Destiny…oh I cant wait to hear his thoughts on that.  Seriously though, I’m linking his page below, go check it out and enjoy the ride.

 
#3-Gunpla Builder Reborn
So I’ve been a Gundam fan since 2000 when Gundam Wing first aired on Toonami.  In the 22 years since then, I have barely built any Gunpla.  Sure I’ve been gifted some and built those, but I’ve never gone out of my way to spend more than my life savings on building up the ultimate Gunpla collection…and then Otakon 2022 happened.  After meeting a new friend who really wanted to get into the hobby, it ignited something in me.  Mentally, working on my favorite Mobile Suits or even just any Gunpla in general, learning the ins and outs, piecing everything together like a puzzle, it’s such a rewarding experience.  I’ve spent way too much of my newly earned paychecks on nabbing every available Gunpla I can (I’m still shocked how widely available they’ve become overtime outside of hobby shops and conventions).  I’ll admit, I should slow down a little but I’m proud of the collection I’ve crafted so far and am looking forward to catching up on more lost time being a Gundam Fan who loves building Gunpla…God I hope I don’t bore myself silly too fast.  Then again it’s been a few months and the collection looks like this, I think I’ll be ok. 


#2-Otakon Returns In Full
2021 was about learning to live with COVID and continue on with life.  Once vaccines were being administered, Conventions began to plan accordingly to test the new waters.  If Otakon 2021 was a soft relaunch after being entirely absent for a year, Otakon 2022 was a loud roar that told the world it was back and I was always going to be there for it.  The Dealers Room, the Cosplay Photoshoots, the late night panels, losing hours just wandering the halls of the Walter E. Washington.  It didn’t matter that the heat was trying to kill us or the Con didn’t anticipate a record shattering attendance number.  Otakon was back and I got to spend a four day weekend catching up with dear friends and having new adventures.  It’s made me excited for the future of Cons, not just Otakon.  Plus I got to meet Beau Billingslea, the voice of Jet Black, and I feel like he and my Dad would’ve gotten along famously…I was both speechless and wanted to cry at the same time.
 

#1-Spy X Family-The Feel Good Anime of 2022
While Chainsaw Man might be the big flavor of the season, no Anime this year has managed to lighten my mood on a bad day and still somehow get better and better with each episode than Spy X Family.  The tale of a Spy, an Assassin and a Mind Reading child all sharing the same roof, with only the kid fully aware of her parents true occupations, has been the feel good Anime of this year.  Every Anya moment is a national treasure.  Every Yor moment is equally graceful, scary and very sexy.  Every Loid moment is action packed but filled with hilarity at how serious he takes his job.  The show is in the second half of its first season (or its just it’s Second Season depending on who you ask).  But I’m still tuning in week after week and it may have just dethroned My Hero Academia as the show I look forward to seeing the moment I can (though MHA is still wowing me six seasons in).  Spy X Family is a show filled with humor and heart, something we could all use especially on a bad day…cause Anya Forger is the cure for any emotional ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment