Wednesday, November 16, 2022

T5W#379-Top 5 Blade Runner Scenes

Oh Blade Runner, I could talk about it all day and all night…haven’t done that before but start up a conversation about it and I’ll talk about it plenty.  The 1982 SciFi Classic is not only my favorite movie of all time, it’s also a quintessential inspiration for a lot of the Cyberpunk Genre in Anime from Ghost in the Shell to Psycho Pass, hence why I like talking about it here on my blog.  Seeing as how we’re in the middle of taking a look at the first ever Blade Runner TV Anime, felt like I should do another Blade Runner themed Top 5 Wednesday.  Initially I was thinking about quotes but yeesh that would be a two part Top 5 list and next week is Thanksgiving and I have a Top 5 planned for that.  So I’m gonna just ramble on a little bit about my Top 5 Blade Runner Scenes instead.

 
#5-Deckard and Rachel’s “Romantic” Scene (The Workprint)
This is supposed to be the moment where Deckard and Rachel’s romantic storyline culminates but really, it’s not as romantic as you think.  The way Deckard handles Rachel is almost primal, doesn’t help his case that he’s a little plastered.  Plus the look on Rachel’s face, she’s not enjoying this…so why is this one of my favorite scenes?  Simply put, the music.  It’s one of the reasons why I’m citing a particular version of Blade Runner in this case.  The “Love Theme” that plays during this scene in every other version of the film feels so out of place but the track Vangelis uses in The Workprint, “Desolation Path”, is far superior.  It perfectly tells a tale of tragedy, regret, desire and a hint of lust, which is every emotion being experienced by both characters in this scene and it sucks this song wasn’t used in any other major version of Blade Runner cause it’s my favorite musical track in the entire soundtrack.

 
#4-The Unicorn Scene
This scene, this changed everything I knew about Blade Runner and did so for the better.  Don’t get me wrong, the original cut of the movie is just fine for me, I wouldn’t love it otherwise.  But the reintroduction of this omitted scene opened a big door for Deckards character and it made my head spin the first time I realized why it was in the movie at all.  The Unicorn introduces the audience to the very real possibility that Deckard may be a Replicant and dammit I think that makes the movie way more interesting.  So many questions emerge from it: does Deckard know?  If he didn’t then and does now, how does he feel?  How is he even around at all when he’s illegal on Earth as a Replicant?  Some of these questions and more would actually fuel Blade Runner 2049’s plot but this was where Blade Runner opened up a whole new world of deep scifi exploration for me and I’m still gushing about it 22 years later.

 
#3-Deckard Kills Zora
Despite the cool sounding title, Blade Runner isn’t exactly the most action packed scifi epic, most of its success coming from its deep, introspective look at the bluring line between Man and Machine.  But it isn’t Action-Less, such is the case with this centerpeice sequence.  After failing to nab Replicant Zora at a strip bar, Deckard pursues the deadly beauty into the streets of Los Angeles.  Its fast and intense, made even more of the latter by watching both Cat and Mouse try to move through the slough of congested and suffocating city streets.  It wraps up tragically beautiful as Deckard shoots Zora multiple times from a distance and she goes crashing through several glass windows before finally succumbing to her wounds.  Once again, Vangelis’ musical score is perfect, perfectly capturing the emotions in Deckards soul as he and the audience are reminded about why he quit being a Blade Runner in the first place. 
 

#2-Deckard does some Detecting
Deckard may be pretty good at taking down Replicants but he doesn’t just hunt, he investigates.  After all, Blade Runner’s aren’t just glorified guns for hire, theyre cops too.  This sequence, which apparently  wasn’t in the original script for the movie, sees Deckard with a bottle of booze examining every square inch and more of a photo he found at Leon’s apartment.  It’s old school by todays standard but man this is so cool.  Listening to Deckard list off numerical frames and his machine beeping in reply is just so entrancing and the more you watch and listen, the more you begin to want to know as much as he does.  Also it’s just so neat how in the 80’s they were able to manipulate and expand photos like this, even titling the angle to spot Zora, something you could never spot just simply glimpsing the polaroid.  Frak this is just such a damn cool scene to me.

 
#1-Batty Kills his Creator
My God, I could write a college dissertation about this scene for a film course.  To me, this is a perfect scene from the way it’s shot to the dialogue to the music to the build up and ultimate payoff.  Replicant Roy Batty has spent the entire movie trying to meet his creator, his God, Dr. Eldon Tyrell, to ask him to extend his lifespan.  Tyrell, more the scientist than deity that Batty believes, lists out all the reasons why Replicants cant live past 4 years, denying Batty his one wish: more life.  Batty takes this about as well as you’d expect and at the crescendo of the nail bitting scene, he crushes his creators head violently.  It’s so freaking poetic, beautiful, chilling and crazy that I cant help but just watch it in awe every single time.  It's the one scene I always look forward to every time I watch Blade Runner.  This isn’t just a scene from my favorite movie of all time, I think it’s my favorite movie moment in history…yeah go on and fight me on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment