Friday, August 21, 2020

FIF#116-JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure


Throughout the annals of history, a war has been raging for the better part of a century.  Every era marks a new chapter in this conflict without end and every era sees two individuals partaking in it.  One is Dio Brando, a mad man who has sworn to rise above his lowborn status and see humanity cower beneath him.  The other is a descendant of the Joestar Family, the family that once took Dio in and now he wishes to destroy above all others.  It is the one name that can challenge Dio and give mankind a fighting chance at survival.  And that name, the name given to every Joestar descendant…is JoJo.

While I feel like it’s fervor has died down a bit, I cant help but think of a time when everyone was talking about the oddly named JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.  My initial glimpses of it made me think of a far more flashy Fist of the North Star, though maybe with a lot less gore.  I was also aware of some of the Anime and Manga’s more wacky attributes.  So I thought it was about time I take a look at the first episode of this series and…yeah I can see why it’s hyped so much.

JoJo is an Anime about excess and overdramatization.  From the way characters talk (especially in the mid 1800’s England setting where the first arc takes place), the way fights are staged, every moment is made to make the most maximum impact with hard hits and plenty of overacting.  And yes, there are the random word effects that pop up randomly (without subtitles it was hard to know what was being indicated but maybe that was on purpose?).  It invokes memories of the 1960’s Adam West Batman series.  Seeing the word bubbles appear just made me think of “BAMF” “BOOM”  “SLAP” and similar descriptions that would pop up whenever a bad guy took a hit. 

Speaking of excess, damn Dio is one terrible bad guy.  I don’t mean he’s a badly written character, he’s just a nasty piece of work.  Most of the first episode is him worming his way into JoJo’s household and making the titular would be heroes life as much a living hell as possible.  It’s downright disheartening and you do feel bad for poor JoJo.  It was almost to the point where it felt cruel to keep watching if Dio didn’t get one upped at some point.  Well, thankfully that moment of “F YEAH!!!” did arrive during Jojo and Dio’s climactic duel.  Surely this sets the stage for a blood feud that will span across all of the Anime’s multiple era storylines and generations. 

While I am curious to see how other seasons of the show begin and how the JoJo bloodline handles threats like Dio and others across history, I’m not sure I’ll proceed with JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure unless it just happens to come on and I’ve got time to kill.  This Anime is still mega popular in the community but it’s a hype I never caught hold of and probably never will.  I’m glad I saw it sure…and at least I got to see a smart ass like Dio get the beatdown he sorely needed…maybe I will continue with this show after all to see if he gets worse cause it’s been a while since ive seen an Anime villain so despicable I cant wait to see him get whats coming to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment