Wednesday, February 19, 2020

T5W#236-Top 5 Katsucon 2020 Moments



I don’t know about you guys, but I’m still feeling a hefty dose of post con depression from this past weekend, greater than I have had in a while.  Tiredness aside, Katsucon 2020 was a convention that blew past all of my expectations and solidified itself as probably my third favorite convention of all time (Behind Katsu 2018 and Otakon 2011).  Between an ocean of incredible cosplays, catching up with friends and reuniting with some I hadn’t seen in years, to outdoor photoshoots and meeting people I hold in high regard in the Anime community, Katsucon 2020 was a return to basics that reminded me why I love coming back out to National Harbor in the dead of winter every Valentines Day weekend.  Naturally, it’s the Wednesday after the con, so it’s time to count down my Top 5 Katsucon 2020 Moments.  I’m curious what everyone elses were so feel free to shout them out in the comments below.


#5-Just Dance Returns to the Video Game Room
The Video Game Room feels like it’s gotten smaller with every passing year.  Yeah, there’s more room to move around in but the lack of variety kind of shows (granted not every year can have a very rare X-Men: The Arcade Game machine…maybe get a Turtles in Time one down the line?).  I was barely in the Video Game Room last year cause it’s selections were so dismal.  This year, Just Dance returned to the rear of the room after sitting out 2019.  Granted it was the same just dance from that same time period but it was just like getting to see an old friend again.  People were still gathering for group performances and yours truly definitely got in on a couple of songs that were serious work outs.  Maybe they can get a more updated (or more recent, idk if the series is still going on) version of the game.  For 2020 though, Just Dance was back and lent more evidence to the sentiment that for Katsucon, 2020 had become The Year of the Dance (More on that in a couple of entries).


#4-Possibly the best Cosplay Legends line up ever



Katsucon is the biggest central hub for Cosplay on the East Coast.  Hundreds of thousands of avid cosplayers flock to National Harbor to take advantage of the gorgeous scenery of the Gaylord Hotel and Convention Center and it’s surroundings.  They definitely come for a coveted photo in the legendary Gazebo.  That usually means a lot of popular cosplayers around bound to show as well (one of my first big fav cosplayers Katie Cosplay paid Katsu a visit in 2018).  This year, I got to reunite with several up and coming and popular cosplayers like Kid Kryptonite, Labinnak Cosplay and Empty Deity and see the new and improved works of good friends like Rizuki, Kayley Marie Cosplay, GhostieMuffin Cosplay, MomofPitbullsCosplay, MakePretender, BiracialAngel92 and Canary Cry Cosplay.  And yeah…lady cosplay legends Hendo Art and Reagan Kathryn also made a planned but nonetheless surprising appearance.  Getting to see these heroes of cosplay in action and see how amazing their work is in person…God I love Katsucon.



#3-Sailor Moon/Demon Slayer/Star Wars Photoshoots
Katsu has a pretty rocky track record with official photoshoots. But when they make them work, they work in big ways.  Some of it’s thanks to actual proper planning…and when that doesn’t work it’s more thanks to the people running the photoshoot themselves.  For example: The traditional Friday Night Sailor Moon Photoshoot was only given a half hour slot at the Gazebo.  Strange (and kind of unfair), but Sailor Senshi Cosplay Queens Rizuki and Many Worlds Cosplay made the most of the time and still filled it with their usual upbeat and welcoming energy that keeps me coming back for more.  Demon Slayer had a predictable turn out, not surprising since it was the biggest Anime hit of 2019.  It was impressive to see it’s number rival Fate/Stay Night or My Hero Academia at Katsucon.  Last, special shoutout goes to the Star Wars Photoshoot on Sunday which was just an absolute blast and a ton of fun.  Tons of great cosplays from all across the Star Wars pantheon, reenactments of some pivotal scenes with hilarious results and a very entertaining Matt the Technician, the Force was Strong with this photoshoot and several others all across the entire weekend. 


#2-Katsucon 2020: Year of the Dance
As I said back with Just Dance, if I had to give Katsucon 2020 a subtitle, it would be: Year of the Dance.  Idk why.  There’s always the rave and one or two massive parties going on in the Gazebo after 11pm or so.  Maybe I just paid more attention to them this time (not the Rave, I’ve never been) and got more involved.  Yeah, even a semi shut in and serious nerd like myself can cut loose every once in a while.  And what better company to do that with than cool strangers who accept your social awkwardness and a ridiculously cool dude who is such the spitting image of Freddie Mercury he cosplayed him at Katsucon (and did a Sailor Freddie Mercury variant too).  Plus the DJs of both parties on both sides of the Gazebo’s were excellent.  Though I might lean towards one side over the other because they were playing a greatest hits of late 90’s/early 2000’s jams that were pivotal in my life at that time.  Smash Mouth, Ginuwine, Sum 41, even some Will Smith, Queen and The Backstreet Boys, if you could dance AND even sing to it, it was gonna get played.  The Gazebo was the best place to end every night at Katsucon…cause it was always time to dance and I never wanted it to stop.


#1-Helping a New Friend Expand Her Community
Last year at Otakon 2019, I met SpicyCat, a girl who was new to the world of cosplay but impressed the heck out of me with her debut cosplay: Magician Symmetra from Overwatch (or as I affectionately call that skin, Zatanna Symmetra).  While she was only able to come to Katsucon for a day, it was good to get to spend time with Cat again.  What surprised me most was as I while showing her around the con, and seeing her debut her new cosplay of Ruler from Fate/Apocrypha at the Fate/Stay Night Photoshoot, I was unintentionally showing off my list of connections id formed over the years.  From guys who work behind the scenes at a convention to a pair of long time cosplayers with tons of tips to friends who’d introduced me to several older Anime titles, I never knew how large my circle of friends had grown over the course of 10 years.  And I got to put that gift to good use by helping Cat meet new people who could help expand her knowledge of Anime and especially cosplay since she has big plans for 2020 in terms of future projects.  It felt good helping a new friend gain insight and see that if she ever needs help with any endeavor…there’s a whole universe of Otaku waiting her help out, me included.  This was the first time I really felt like someones Sempai when I was just trying to show a friend around…and it felt good.

No comments:

Post a Comment