Tuesday, December 24, 2019

The History of Gundam at the Gundam Anime Corner


 
As we come to the end of another decade of history, ive been thinking a bit about the Anime that just so happens to inspire this blogs namesake.  In the almost six years ive been doing this, I haven’t ever taken a look back at the Gundam titles ive reviewed.  In doing so, it’s more spread out than I thought.  True, I’d expect a blog titled the “Gundam Anime Corner” to contain a crap ton of Gundam material…and there is.  But as we’ve seen, there’s nothing wrong with giving all Anime a bit of the spotlight.  Still, I opted to do a inventory/retrospective listing of all the Gundam titles ive done full series/film reviews of from 2014 til now.  So I figured, why not share my findings?  So here we are everyone, The History of Gundam at the Gundam Anime Corner.

2014
 
 
Funny thing, this blog didn’t open with a Gundam review.  My very first review was the opening of Eden of the East on March 31, 2014.  I didn’t actually get to any Gundam titles until near the end of the year.  In October I did a mini movie marathon month, looking at three Gundam features I had on hand: the movie edition of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz; Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack and it’s theatrical successor Mobile Suit Gundam F91.  Honestly, I have never planned out when or how I’d go about reviewing Gundam in general, hence the grab bag approach you’ll see across the years.  Still, this trio of flicks showed off the best and worst of the franchise.  So it wasnt a bad little primer to get things rolling.

2015
2015 marked a couple of firsts for the Gundam Anime Corner.  It was the debut of the yearly Extended Series Review (in which I did a more accerlated review schedule of a series longer than 26 episodes).  It was also the year I took on my first Gundam series, a dear favorite.  At the time, it was a yearly ritual for me to watch all of Mobile Suit Gundam 00 prior to Otakon. So why not continue the tradition but this time offer my own thoughts as a reviewer?  Later that year I did a random editorial that could more or less be a full series review of Gundam Build Fighters, praising it as a love letter to the franchise.  I had planned to review all of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn in one sitting that December.  However, there was a potential chance to review Ghost in the Shell: Arise in full…but that opportunity never came.  With two reviews written for Arise already, I decided to split Gundam Unicorn’s coverage into two halves, shared with Arise.  The first half was covered December 2015 and the last three episodes were reviewed (along with the conclusion of Arise) a few months later in February 2016.  As an added bonus for 2015, I acquired the Gundam 00 Movie-A Wakening of the Trailblazer, at Otakon and began yet another semi yearly tradition as well, a special Christmas Day review (I say Semi Yearly cause right now I’m not sure I have anything planned for 2019 in that regard).  All in all, not a bad year for Gundam or the blog itself.

2016
Compared to 2015, 2016 was kind of quiet on the Gundam front on the blog.  Granted, the main title I did review is a great summer blockbuster of a title: Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team.  Since a variation of another 08th MS Team title aired on Toonami during it’s original run, I also merged a review of the 08th MS Team movie, Miller’s Report, into the series review itself.  Other than that, the only other Gundam related title I looked at was the horrendous Gundam Build Fighters Try-Island Wars and the less I say about that godawful series in general, the better.  This was probably the second quietest year of Gundam at the Anime Corner.

2017
I didn’t mention this in 2014 but when I reviewed those three Gundam films, I dubbed the grouping as “Gundam Month”.  After encountering some amazing Gundam experts at Katsucon 2017, I was inspired to tackle two back to back Gundam OVAs in the same month.  April 2017 became Gundam Month Mark II and featured coverage of Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket & Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory.  2017 was a particularly tough year because it also marked the first time in seven years I didn’t attend Otakon.  This bit of depression made me feel deflated about reviewing two back to back Fate/Stay Night series (Zero and Unlimited Blade Works) for my Extended Series Review.  Thankfully, Crunchyroll had me covered and I turned to a very old friend for comfort.  This signaled yet another first for the Gundam Anime Corner.  At long last, I got a chance to look at the Gundam that got me into Gundam: Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.  In doing so, I added a sort of unwritten rule to the Extended Series Reviews-every other year, a Gundam Series is being covered. 

2018
 
I cant believe I almost went an entire year without reviewing anything Gundam related…or rather more.  It was closer to a year and a half after Gundam Wing that it dawned on me.  I’m not totally complaining.  2018 had a crap ton of good titles for me to review including Psycho Pass, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya, One Punch Man and Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory (one of the few series I reviewed within the same year it debuted in Japan).  Still, I couldn’t let a blog named after Mobile Suit Gundam go a year without a Gundam review.  Gundaminfo.com’s official Youtube page came to my aid late in the year though, delivering the English dubs of the two Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt compilation films: December Sky and Bandit Flower, right into my lap.  It was a last minute addition, but 2018 had some Gundam action after all and I promised the blog wouldn’t go this long without it again.

2019
 
AND I KEEP MY PROMISES!!!! Holy crap I don’t know if it was trying to make up for the lack of coverage in 2018 or the fact that 2019 was the 40th Anniversary of the franchise…or both, but this was the year Gundam took my blog by storm (more so than the Year of The Slayers I think).  Not only did I get to review the brand new Gundam feature film, Mobile Suit Gundam Narrative, and the CG anthology, Gundam Evolve, I got to look at two milestone titles of the franchise.  First, in April, Gundam Month Mark III saw me go back to the very roots of Gundam with Mobile Suit Gundam and it’s compilation movie trilogy: The Movie, Soldiers of Sorrow and Encounters in Space.  And as the tradition as become, I reviewed another Gundam series for my Extended Series Review this summer.  It was another milestone title, the 20th Anniversary celebration that was Turn A Gundam (along with it’s two compilation films Earth Light and Moonlight Butterfly cause I had an extra week to fill).  There hasn’t been anything else since Turn A but reviewing over 100 episodes and 7 movies over the span of a year more than makes up for the lack of Gundam material in 2018…and frankly I think I did a better job celebrating the franchise than Japan as it only gave us ONE new Gundam project when we should’ve gotten a lot more.

Looking Ahead-2020…and beyond?
 
As I have been doing lately, I’ve mapped out and begun working on my review schedule for 2020 (id estimate it’s a little over half done actually…damn).  I had originally planned to do a special, two part review project since it was also originally announced that Gundam Seed would be getting a rerelease in 2019.  That has since been pushed to an undetermined time in 2020.  Ergo, I’m scrapping my original plan to review Mobile Suit Gundam Seed in January 2020 and then Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny in December 2020.  Sure both are available to watch on Crunchyroll…but if I’m honest, I’ve kind of fallen out of love with that idea (especially revisiting my old nemesis DESTINY if only for a 50 episode long rant).  Other titles have popped up recently that Ive really wanted to review instead…and you’ll find out what those are on January 1, 2020.  Actually, one of those titles that has taken Seeds place just so happens to be another Gundam series itself, After War Gundam X (I got the entire series thanks to a solid Black Friday deal from RightStufAnime.com hehehe).  And also actually, I was thinking about adding that to my 2021 schedule (yeesh I am looking super far ahead).  But I’ll bring it a bit sooner…with a tentative review date of December 2020.  I’ll absolutely do at least one Gundam Series in 2021 for my Extended Series Review in the Summer period.  It’s always about what I can get my hands on.  And trust me, I plan on getting as much Gundam as I can in the future.  And it’s not like you wont see Gundam get another spot in my Top 5 Wednesday series.  I’ve also been working on a new kind of project that Ive never really done before here on the Anime Corner.  Wont say what it is just yet but I’m aiming to get it worked out and done by April 2020. 

And that, whew, is the long history of Gundam at the Gundam Anime Corner.  Any other titles from the franchise resume I should check out down the line?  Zeta Gundam?  Iron Blooded Orphans?  Should I try and continue with my crazy Seed/Seed Destiny plan at a later date?  Let me know and I’ll see what I can do.  After all, what good is a blog called the Gundam Anime Corner without a little Gundam around, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment