Wednesday, August 14, 2019

T5W#209-Top 5 Anime that Make me Really, Really Mad


I love Anime.  Heck this blog being in its sixth year is proof of that, nevermind ive been into the overall fandom for over two decades now.  I love many titles from Gundam to Ghost in the Shell to Dragon Ball Z to Pokemon to Inuyasha and Full Metal Panic.  The list could go on and on about my absolute favs.  But what about the titles I don’t like, the ones that get me so riled up I am ready to go Super Saiyan just thinking about them. Well, full disclosure, it’s been kind of a rough weekend and the week hasn’t started off the best either tbh.  So for this weeks Top 5, I’m exercising my right to rant and I know 5 particular titles I can do that with easily.  Here are my Top 5 Anime that Make me Really, Really Mad.  Enjoy the comedic venting.

#5-Silent Mobius: The Series

I think I said it week after week when I was reviewing this one here at the Anime Corner, the potential for this shows greatness was squandered episode after episode.  Despite an interesting premise and promising cast, Silent Mobius never rose to the occasion.  The AMP is basically useless without its Dark Phoenix imbuned Katsumi and their technology never seems to work at fighting Lucifer Hawks.  Factor in a less than stellar backstory that is begging to be explored, villains who are just there to be there and a sense that the animation and writing staff just gave up after the first episode floundered and you have one of the saddest tragedies in all of Anime: not because of what happens to some of the main characters but because this could have been the Anime successor to Sailor Moon…and it just failed on every concieveable level for 26 episodes.  (the two part movies aren’t bad though.  Even though theyre an incomplete story id recommend checking them out anytime over the TV Series)


#4-Gundam Build Fighters Try
If Gundam Build Fighters was a love letter to me as a fan of Gundam for almost two decades, Build Fighters Try was the exact opposite.  Trading optimistic and  fun for hopeless and terrible characters, I think I was crying inside with every episode I watched.  The Build Fighters Try team had so much potential that was squandered on one characters depressing attitude and the other trying to be the Gundam Naruto.  Sure some of the Gunpla were cool but the series managed to take one of the most fun and interesting takes on one of Gundam’s most prominent staying powers and turn it into the most depressing game of torture ever played.  At least the first have of Gundam Build Divers managed to bring back some of magic of Build Fighters before the second half tried to play by Build Fighters Try rules…and broke my heart all over again.


#3-Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Move 3-Rebellion
Madoka Magica is one of those rare, perfect Anime in existence that delivers more than what was initially promised and manages to overcome the odds to join the ranks of legends like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Akira.  The first two compilation movies achieve even rarer greatness when it comes to telling a condensed version of the TV series without much content sacrificed.  And then came the third film.  And truthfully, it was ok…until the last fifteen minutes when the Danarys Targaryan of all character shifts happens and tears down everything that Madoka stood for.  Homura becomes a demon?  Madoka’s powers sealed away and theyre destined to fight each other in the future?  WHAT THE F***!!!??? Why mess up one of the most perfect endings in all of Anime with this BS twist that has gone nowhere since it was released because it was so horrible?  Believe me when I say, avoid this movie if youre watching the Anime…the TV Series is perfect as is without this forced and insulting continuation/epilogue.


#2-Ghost in the Shell (Live Action 2017)

I honest to God recently had to get a friend to change the subject when this movie got brought up because I was going to get rilled up.  Ghost in the Shell is one of my Top 3 favorite Anime fanchises sandwhiched between Mobile Suit Gundam and Dragon Ball Z.  I love pretty much every adaptation from the Oshii films to Arise.  The live action movie boils my blood whenever it gets brought up, so much so I wonder if I really should have just written a rage fueled review of it for the Anime Corner’s Third Birthday.  Eveyrthing that makes Ghost in the Shell what it is doesn’t exist in this travesty, trading metaphysics for an old and boring festival of bad 80’s scifi tropes that basically make it a fusion of Total Recall and Robocop.  Bad casting, a half assed script and nods to the franchise that never feel earned…at least Death Note 2017 was a hilarious to watch train wreck of a disaster.  Ghost in the Shell 2017 makes me wish we had the technology to erase certain memories cause this movie should be freaking purged from the history books.


#1-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny

Oh man.  This was probably the very first low point I ever discovered for my favorite franchise.  I still remember watching this series on YouTube during my freshman year of college, hoping beyond all hope that this series would somehow get better.  Episode after episode I was proven wrong.  The sheer wasted potential of a conflict that could’ve dwarfed that of Gundam Seed.  The rapidly changing character motivations that felt more like grab bag than logical progression.  The fact that Shinn Asuka was calling the shots and claiming to be a hero when he might’ve been the biggest damn villain of the series.  Seed Destiny was the first Anime I truly regretted giving my attention to and I still to this day want those 50 episodes worth of time back.  Why…OH WHY…am I possibly planning to take a look at this one in the future for a special project I have planned for 2020?  Should make for an extended entertaining 10 part rant I can guarantee that.

No comments:

Post a Comment