Wednesday, December 19, 2018

T5W#175-Top 5 Best Anime Tunes of 2018

Im sure ive said it before but when it comes to certain Anime titles, sometimes the most memorable elements are the songs and soundtracks attached to them.  It can make a show somehow worth getting through just to hear a cool end them or a real good opening.  2018 brought some really nice tunes to the Anime world (and a couple of fun video game related ones as well).  So today, with the end of 2018 right in front of us, I present to you my picks for the Top 5 Best Anime Tunes of 2018.  General rules for these is basically if it’s a song that popped up in a new Anime in 2018, it’s eligeible for the list.  Also ill be including a title or two that some consider an Anime esque video game, you’ll just have to read on to find out what that might be.
 
 
#5-Kiss of Death (Darling in the Franxx)
Darling in the Franxx went from one of the most talked about titles of the new year to one of the most mind boggling bad.  I never finished the series but I know about the twist and, to be honest, I was never getting on board even before that cause of the Eva rip offs and the not so likeable Zero Two.  Which is kind of a shame because Kiss of Death is a good Opening Theme for a mecha anime, especially the very beginning of the song.  It’s a good techno tune with beautiful vocals and a beat that you can jam to and imagine some very elaborate fight scenes as well.  I doubt ill ever go back to Darling and the Franxx but at least ill have this song to make me smile when that show didn’t.
 
 
#4-Bright Burning Shout (Fate/Extra: Last Encore)
If you’ve been keeping up with my recent reviews of Fate/Extra: Last Encore, you’ll know I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.  I love Saber Nero.  I like the visuals.  I don’t really like Hakuno or the story that refuses to be clear about its setting and world building.  But you can add the excellent opening theme to the list of “likes” I have for this series.  It’s probably my favorite Fate theme since “Brave Shine” from Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works.  Bright Burning Shout offer a great mix of operatic epicness and rock and roll awesome, which actually can sum up the character of Saber Nero precisely.  This also works because she’s the one doing all the ass kicking in the intro as well as the show.  Why couldn’t this series be about her and not the block of wood she’s forced to call her master?  I suppose no matter how the show ends next week, hearing this intro multiple times was worth the headache.
 
 
#3-Spiky Seeds (FLCL Progressive)
While FLCL Progressive and FLCL Alternative were both giant letdowns compared to its legendary predecessor, the music was one area that both matched and at time surpassed the original.  Of the two end themes between the two seasons, Spiky Seeds was my favorite.  It felt like a natural successor to “Ride the Shooting Star” and was used effectively in both the adverts for both new adventures but also in a pretty interesting end credits sequence.  I guess in the end, I can kind of be grateful that as not so great as Progressive and Alternative were, at least the music of The Pillows went untarnished and is just as good as it was during FLCL Season One (God do we really have to call it that now?)
 
 
#2-Make My Story (My Hero Academia)
I seriously cant stop telling people how awesome My Hero Academia is.  Since Season Two ive been hooked and the story, characters, and action all hit new highs in Season Three.  And then there’s the music.  In the spirit of it’s Shonen brethren like Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Naruto and One Piece, Hero Aca excels in the OP and ED Theme department.  This was a hard choice (I think the only one of the themes this season I didn’t like was the first Season Three ED) but in the end I chose the second OP Theme from Season Three, Make My Story.  This feels like the culmination of the journey of Deku and Class 1-A thus far and now theyre ready to jump into the next level of their training.  This song gets you hyped like few other Anime songs can and is a worthy addition to the still building legacy of My Hero Academia.
 
 
#1-Devil Trigger (Devil May Cry 5)
So this is my cheat and honestly it has to be cause it just flat out rocks.  It’s been about 10 years since we saw Dante the Demon Slayer back in action.  And while DMC5 looks like it will be another shared adventure between Dante and Nero (and a new addition named V), this is still the perfect tune to usher in the return of their brand of Demon ass kicking.  Just like “Make My Story”, Devil Trigger is designed to get you pumped up, ready to grab your sword and guns and get ready for the action.  Also helps to have the sweet, soothing and furiously amazing voices of Casey Edwards and Ali Edwards urging you on into the darkness as you embrace it and set it loose against the demons who deserve your fury.  I cant wait to play this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment