Wednesday, June 7, 2017

T5W#95-Top 5 Most Infuriating Haikyu Characters


Over the span of about a week and a half, I blew through all 60 episodes of three seasons of Haikyu.  I have seen Karasuno High overcome challenge after challenge, some resulting in resounding victory, and others in crushing defeat.  But as I sat through the third season, something began to dawn on me…a lot of their opponents piss me off.  Seriously, looking at some of these guys and seeing how they act, I cant wait to see Karasuno put them in their place, especially when Hinata and Kageyama are still so sorely underestimated.  So, as a way for me to wrap up my watching the series, I’m looking back at my Top 5 Most Infuriating Haikyu Characters.  Many of the opponents Karasuno faces are actually good sports, willing to give credit where credit is due and even help out their opponents in training sessions.  The guys on this list…would rather watch Kageyama, Hinata and their friends burn in defeat…what a bunch of team players (except for one but I’ll explain in a sec)

 

#5-Kei Tsukishima
It was actually hard to come up with 5 guys for this list and sadly, Tsuki made the list soley on his attitude in the first two seasons.  The know it all and not giving a damn attitude made me wonder why he was even on this team in the first place.  Now sure, all players get a bit of backstory as to how they got into volleyball, a lot of it is kind of sad.  Tsuki is no different.  It just took him a long time to get his mess worked out.  There’s a reason he sits at the bottom of the list…and that’s because he does end up getting one of the best moments of the show in Season 3, a real F*** YEAH moment.  But why, OH WHY, did it take him so long to get to being so likeable?

 

#4-Kentarō “Mad Dog” Kyōtani
The name says it all and makes me wonder…WHY THE FRAK IS THIS KID ON A VOLLEYBALL TEAM?  Better to ask why he’s allowed to play a sport at all.  This kid clearly has some anger issues and is prone to even getting his teammates injured in order to pull off plays.  It’s a risky call, even if he can score points.  Mad Dog is like Tanaka without the restraint, it’s no wonder they became rivals and I couldn’t wait to see Karasuno’s lovable wild card put this poser in his place. 

 

#3-Wakatoshi Ushijima
For two seasons, we’d heard whispers about this guy and his unstoppable team, Shiratorizawa.  By the time we got to Season Three, the rumors were proven true and they pissed me off right away.  If Hinata and Kageyama together make up Rocky Balboa, then Ushijima is easily Ivan Drago from Rocky IV.  Seriously, the way he stares down Hinata after the kid pulls off a successful play, you know he is dying to say “I must break you.”  He never let up on the team, had one of the most arrogant attitudes of anyone in the series.  Ushijima is an example of my least favorite kind of nemesis: highly overpowered and nearly impossible to take down.  So when it does happen to him (and it does), wow was it such a good feeling to watch.

 

#2-Tōru Oikawa
That smug freaking look.  That hollier than thou swagger.  I easily wanted to slap Hinata over the head for nicknaming him “The Great King.”  Now there’s “Great” and then there’s Joffrey from Game of Thrones and Oikawa is definitely a punk I wanted to see choke on poisoned wine (spoiler alert if you havent seen one of the most satisfying moments of Game of Thrones EVER).  He’s so determined to prove he’s the greatest…that he allows Mad Dog onto the Aoba Joshai team with full knowledge that kid is going to go full psycho at any moment, even when he scores points.  Were this a fighting Anime like DBZ, you know it would be awesome to see Kageyama pummel the mess out of this Frieza wannabe…if Kageyama is Vegeta (which yeah makes Hinata Goku but I’m getting off topic).  I loved it when Karasuno managed to piss this guy off…he needs more of this shoved in his face.

 

#1-Satori Tendō
This…freaky…as hell…gahh this guy.  Tendo looks like he is the Anime version of a character from a Tim Burton movie: shrivel, lankey and with body motions that look more like Jack Skeleton than human.  And man you think Oikawa and Ushijim had issues with arrogance, this guy is something else.  Tendo almost makes it his mission to be right in his moves, predictions and his judgement of his players.  Talk about a bad sport, he loves watching his opponents squirm with that nightmare fuel look on his face.  Everytime this guys attack got broken, I gave a middle finger to the screen.  And yes, he had a tragic backstory…and I didn’t care even after seeing it.  I just eagerly awaited the smackdown the whole collective team of Karasuno High needed to lay down on him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment