Wednesday, August 31, 2016

T5W#55-Top 5 Guilty Pleasure Anime


Normally I don’t doubt the titles I choose to review.  And while im glad some people have liked my reviews thus far of Love Hina, I know that some might be scratching their heads over it.  Well, as hard as it is to believe, while action/scifi/mecha/fantasy Anime is always my go to for the medium, it’s not all my Anime collection is comprised of.  Sometimes I like to step out of the comfort zone a bit, enjoy a look at titles others wouldn’t think I’d touch with a ten foot poll.  And sometimes, just sometimes, I run into one that I really, really like.  Well, I managed to choose five of them for everyone to know about.  Kind of like Love Hina, not ashamed to say I like these titles…I still love my s*** blowing up Anime titles a little more but still.

 

#5-Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
If you’ll recall this was one of the earliest titles I covered over in First Impression Fridays.  Well I continued on and, I actually really liked this series.  It quickly became a sunnier version of Madoka Magica for me.  While it did get a little more series in the second half of the first season, it never lost it’s comedic timing, especially when it came to some fun moments with Illya and Miyu.  And wow, they managed to carry over Fate/Stay Night penchant for bad ass battle scenes.  Who would’ve thought id be impressed by Illya dawning an Archer outfit and turning into a deadly swordswoman?  Plus, of course, my waifu, Rin, always had some of the best moments (of course I started watching this series for her).  I blew threw the first season pretty quick and am not sorry I did.  Keep an eye out for my First Impressions of the second season, Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei, in a couple of weeks on First Impression Friday.

 

#4-Ouran High School Host Club
A show about a Host Club...whose members also include a cross dressing girl that everyone thinks is a boy?  In truth, if I hadn’t made it passed the first episode, I probably wouldn’t have carried on.  The initial premise is a little hard to swallow, don’t ask why.  But the bonds between these characters makes the series a worth while watch.  And it’s also pretty freaking funny at times.  It does take a dip into the more serious side towards the end that hurts it a little.  I still had a fun time watching the escapades of these guys, especially the deadly little time bomb that is Honinozuka if his stuff bunny, Usa Chan, gets coffee on him.  But I totally credit this guilty pleasure to Vic Minogna, who left such a strong impression at his live panel at Otakon 2013.  His being such an incredible voice actor and general human being, convinced me to add this title to my collection well after I watched it all on Netflix. 

 

#3-Free
Yep, don’t think I need to say much more about this one that I haven’t already.  The girls have their reasons to like it.  I have the bonds of brotherhood, the memories of swimming, and just some generally well written story arcs and great characters to enjoy.  And those theme songs kick ass as well.  For more about how much I ended up enjoying this surprise hit, you can check out my reviews of both Free! and Free! Eternal Summer, down below.

Free!-The Complete First Season


Free! Eternal Summer-The Complete Second Season


  

#2-K-On
I first found out about this one back at Otakon 2011.  It’s cutesy animation and focus on an all girls rock band should have turned me off.  But then the music started playing.  And then I started watching for the character interactions, even if they weren’t playing music more than half the time.  THEN I became fans of the core voice actresses for the English Dub, having seen them in concert and met them in person for autographs.  K-On is a special series.  The feel good vibe is undeniable and the music is just so…gahhh cant think of the best words to describe it.  This is a rainy day Anime, one to put in when you’ve hit rock bottom.  Let the music fill your ears and let it tell you what it always tells me…everything is going to be ok.  FUWA FUWA TIME!!!

 

#1-Escaflowne The Movie
This isn’t a great movie.  It takes everything that made Escaflowne so enjoyable: the mecha, the decently executed love story, the world wind fantasy adventure, and tosses most of it out the window.  Instead we get a Christopher Nolan style reboot with all the characters darker, edgier and more violent (or depressed) than anyone wants them to be.  So why, oh why, do I like this one when most Escaflowne fans deem this the bastard offspring of their beloved series?  Well…I’m not the biggest Escaflowne fan to begin with, that’s a start.  And also, when I saw first this movie, I had only had a minor understanding of things based on what I saw from the heavily edited Fox Kids broadcast.  I mean yeah, the movie has pacing problems and is pretty much trying to pack 26 episodes of content into a two hour flick.  But it’s still gorgeous, has one of the best musical scores in any Anime and I think the action (what little there is) isn’t bad at all, especially the centerpiece Escaflowne battle between Van and Dilandeu.  Say what you will of me, but I’ll pop this one in to fall asleep to anyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment