Friday, May 31, 2024

Gundam Anime Corner-Summer 2024 Update

Happy Day before June everyone.  With things getting hotter and hotter out there, the Gundam Anime Corner is about to get revving on it’s own Summer Season (which I guess already began with Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu in May but that sucked so lets do a soft second start).  However, some early announcements of what I had planned for Summer 2024, especially in June, have changed.  So today I’m here to give a bit of a primer on what’s on the docket for the next few weeks before getting into our Annual Extended Summer Series Review Event.
 
June-Psycho Pass On Hold (for now)
Back when I was mapping out titles for 2024, I saw that the Psycho Pass: Sinners of the System Trilogy had been added to Crunchyrolls catalogue.  While I do still wanna cover these three flicks, work schedules are taking a toll and I haven’t found time to watch them, yet.  Long story short, Sinners of the System is getting pushed to September 2024 for the time being.  However, I have stuff ready to look at in the meantime and it’s all (mostly) pretty recent stuff.  A lot of big Anime and Video Game adaptation titles have finally made their way stateside and I’ve been able to catch them either in theaters or on streaming.  So, for the month of June, it’s a month of movies and one streaming season with Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom, Spy X Family: Code White and Knuckles.  And, just to show I haven’t fully abandoned my Psycho Pass movie coverage plan, we’ll close out the month with Psycho Pass: Providence (which I actually saw and wrote a review for last year but kept it on hold til I found a good spot for it). 
 

July-Usagi Tsukino is Back
I’ve been hyping this up since last year and I’m sticking to it.  After spending the whole of 2023 covering her big Anime debut from the 90s, our chosen Extended Summer Series Review for 2024 is the epic Reboot of the Sailor Moon franchise with Sailor Moon Crystal.  One minor hiccup though.  Originally when I planned out Crystal’s coverage, I was going to include the two double feature film followups, Sailor Moon Eternal and Sailor Moon Cosmos, which cover the events of Sailor Moon SuperS and Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.  However, this was all depending on whether or not Cosmos would get a release sometime before July 2024.  Granted this could still happen but Netflix (which is streaming both Crystal and Eternal) has yet to announce anything.  If this should change, hey that’d be awesome.  For the time being though, I’ll only be looking at Sailor Moon Crystal and saving Eternal and Cosmos for a later time (maybe even for an Anniversary review?).  Still, I’m excited to see how Crystal handles the original Manga source material as it also dumps the many episodes of filler from the original TV Series.  Could it improve on what came before and even rectify the problems of the past?  (Much of that is geared towards Eternal doing a much better job with SuperS infuriating storyline).  Guess we’ll find out when Sailor Moon Crystal kicks off on July 1, 2024
 
That’s about all there is to report.  Just a slight change in Summer plans but plenty excited to finally share it all with everyone.  See you Monday when I can finally cover Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom right here at the Gundam Anime Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment