Thursday, December 21, 2023

GBT Holiday Special-Gunpla at Work

Welcome Dear Readers to a Gunpla Builder Thursday Holiday Special.  No new build report this time, those will be starting up again hopefully in January 2024.  Instead, I want to talk about a unique idea I had, how I carried it out and how I got some freaking awesome photos out of it.  Back during my birthday in November, I learned that I had to work that day.  No one wants to work on their birthday but I was determined to find a way to make it work.  Not long before hand, I took a look a the production table we have in the back of our store and took particular notice of the grid like setup.  All of a sudden, I started seeing it as a 3D computer, able to create anything Gunpla related and set up as I saw fit.  It’s like I was looking at the ultimate blank canvas that I could do anything I wanted with.  That’s where the idea popped to mind and after getting special permission from my boss, I was given the ok to bring a small batch of Gunpla with me to work to set up on the Production Table in various poses and scenarios.  Turns out, it wasn’t a bad birthday gift to me to do this kind of work at work.  So to celebrate the holiday, figured I’d share what I came up with and go through some of the mindset of their set up.
 
Test Run-Deathscythe
I kicked off this little experiment with a simple test run.  One Gunpla, one pose, simple as that.  Ok maybe a couple of poses as you can see but I just wanted to see how it look and damn I was blown away.  I think the lighting helped make Deathsythe look more shiny and intimidated on its own.  I was actually only going to do one pose at a distance and up close, to show how it looks on a grid like space and because close ups of Deathsycthe are always awesome.  But then I had to get in a shot of its Buster Sheild in use and get it right in your face. 
 

Destroy All Mobile Suits
The Kampher is one of my favorite Gunpla builds ever.  Its also one of the few enemy type Mobile Suits I have in my extensive collection.  So yeah, maybe I did make it a little OP in this epic action pic that saw it face off against the Hi Nu Gundam, Ez8 and Deathscythe.  Cleaving off the Ez8’s arm.  Wrapping its Mine Chain around the Hi Nu, the Kampher looks virtually unstoppable here.  The only hope for these two ailing Gundams is the Deathscythe coming in from behind to cleave the Kampher in two.  Or…perhaps there is another who could save the day?
 

G Gundam vs. Kampher
Taking full advantage of the Burning Finger fist attachment, I wanted to show the God Gundam performing its classic finishing move on someone.  Since I didn’t include it in the group team up pic, figured the Kampher was a good candidate and DAMN I love how this turned out.  Forcing the Kapmher against a wall, perfectly balanced and positioned (and missing a fist too, not sure if that was intentional or not), while the G Gundam presses against it with ease.  If the previous pic showed the Kampher being an overpowered bad ass, then this pic has the G Gundam showing that the good guys are just as, if not more, powerful.
 

G Gundam vs. Gundam Wing
“It’s a dark day when Gundams fight amongst each other.”  While I love that line from Gundam 00, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about with this closing sparing match between the G Gundam and Deathscythe.  Both of these suits are built for full on melee combat, so pairing them together made sense. I love the cross X position of the Beam Sabers on the G, being able to block a nice hit from Deathscythe.  It actually looks like its struggling against it a little.  The second pic is kind of a fun joke I wanted to test out.  Could the G pull off the infamous Crane Kick from the Karate Kid?  I’m gonna say…yeah, more or less.
 
Overall this was such a fun experiment that makes me want to try some more outdoor photoshoots with my Gunpla in 2024.  While I said a new season of Gunpla Builder Thursday is ready to go in early January, maybe I’ll have an episode or two dedicated to other field trips for my many Gunpla.  Til then, hope everyones having a Happy Holiday and I’ll see you Friday for the penultimate chapter of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars right here at the Gundam Anime Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment