Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Gundam Anime Corner 8th Anniversary

March 31, 2014.  It’s a date I hold close to my heart much like my own Birthday.  This was the day I sat down and penned my first Anime review for the first 7 episodes of Eden of the East.  Fast Forward to 8 years later…yeesh let me see if I can break down what I’ve covered: 87 TV Series, 200 Films (Damn), 36 OVAs (only that many?), 9 ONA’s and 2 TV Specials.  Guess it goes without saying that if I’ve committed this much energy to that many titles, I must really love Anime and yes, I really do.  I’ve loved Anime since Middle School and love talking about it from dusk til dawn.  Getting to share my thoughts and opinions via a blog has been a blast for the last 8 years and I’m aiming for 8-10 more (much more really).  The Gundam Anime Corner is one of the biggest projects I’ve worked on my entire life and I’m proud of how far it’s come from just simple Anime Reviews.  Top 5’s, First Impressions, Retrospectives, Manga to Anime Comparisons, Convention Reports.  This certainly isn’t just a review blog anymore.  I hope that heading into Year 9, the expansions I’ve been building on for the last couple of years get even bigger and bolder.  This blog is my home, my pride and joy and I cant wait to see where I take it next.  So I hope you’ll join me in wishing the Gundam Anime Corner a very Happy 8th Birthday.
 
Now, here’s a look at what’s coming up in the next couple of months:

April
Seeing as how I just came off of a three month long Toonami Retrospective, I’m going to kick off Year 9 with a Toonami topic I didn’t go into super detail about…well cause I was gonna do a full series review of it anyway.  It’s the first Toonami Original Anime, Co-Produced with Production I.G.: IGPX.  That’ll kick off tomorrow, April 1st, and run until April 18th.  On April 22nd, the month starts closing out by switching gears to something a bit less kid friendly.  Bullets, blood, Zombie and well endowed bad ass heroines, it’s everything Anime was in the 90s brought into the 2000’s.  It’s High School of the Dead.  Also, First Impression Friday will be back for it’s 7th Season starting tomorrow.  Tons of classic and new titles and my initial thoughts, as if I’d only just caught a glimpse of them at an Anime con, await in 17 new episodes that’ll take us from April to July before my next big Friday Event.


May
I like to think of May as the start of the Summer Blockbuster Movie Season and I try to replicate that at the Gundam Anime Corner.  It’s a pretty packed summer season and I’m kicking it off with a super futuristic, scifi edged update of an Akira Kurosawa Classic.  Seven Ronin vs. a legion of Metal Gear sized bandits in Akira Kurosawa’s Samurai 7.  Following that, we’re staying in the far future for a bit only this time we’re leaving the Samurai swords behind in favor of something more cyberpunk.  It’s a trilogy of CG Anime films that pioneered the CG Anime craze and all based on a Manga from the man who gave us Ghost in the Shell.  It’s Appleseed, Appleseed: Ex Machina and Appleseed Alpha from May 23rd-May 30th.


June
At the end of my Gundam Month Mark V-THE GAUNTLET PART 2 event in December, I teased that I had another Gundam Month all planned out and ready to be worked on.  Come June, it’s time for Gundam to return to the Gundam Anime Corner in a big way.  I’ll be looking at the last two, as of now, traditional Gundam Anime that graced Japan and the US, back to back.  First up is Yoshiyuki Tomino’s epic return to the Gundam franchise with Gundam: Reconguista in G.  Right after, it’s a full two week, 10 part review of one of the grittiest and hard hitting Gundam tales of all time: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans.  A Gundam sized event like this deserves a title of it’s own…and for that I christen it Gundam Month Mark VI: The Undiscovered Country.  That’ll take us right into July and our Extended Summer Series Review…which I’ll touch on at a later date.
To all who have been reading this and have been looking at my blog since the beginning, thank you so much for sticking with me these last eight years and showing your support.  To anyone new…welcome, pull up a chair and enjoy all the content I have to offer.  There’s plenty more of the Gundam Anime Corner to come…so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment