Saturday, January 1, 2022

Toonami Flashback Friday Announcement

March 17, 1997.  It was a day that will live in infamy.  What started as a brand new afternoon action block for the still growing Cartoon Network would become a first home haven for the Anime Commiunity and, for me, the true birthplace of my Anime fandom.  It is the block that introduced me to Super Saiyans, Sailor Senshi, Mobile Suits, Zentradi, Robeasts, Caster Guns, Light Hawk Wings and more.  It would see many iterations, a couple of iconic hosts and a lifetime of ups, downs and even an end and a resurrection. I am, of course, talking about Cartoon Networks TOONAMI.  It’s been 25 years since Moltar from Space Ghost: Coast to Coast launched the very first Toonami broadcast from the halls of Ghost Planet Industries.  We’ve come a long way from there, soaring across the stars with TOM and Sara aboard the Absolution and traversing the Anime multiverse and shows that changed my life forever.  This year Dear Readers, Toonami gets its due at the Gundam Anime Corner with TOONAMI FLASHBACK FRIDAYS!!!
 
For this event, originally I was just going to run through a list of my all time favorite and most impactful Anime that ran on Toonami.  Trouble is, I’ve talked a lot about those titles over the last eight years here at the Gundam Anime Corner.  So I’m gonna mix things up a little.  Yes, I will be talking about my favorite Anime titles.  I’m also going to do a little history recapping, looking at some of Toonami’s major sub blocks, events and even a brief look at the original end of Toonami’s first run in 2008.  I’m gonna include as many of my personal experiences and resonances with each entry cause, like I said, this was where I began as an Anime fan, especially when shows I saw prior to their Toonami airing got their Toonami spotlights and I could immerse myself in their stories like never before.
The plan right now is to run this little series from January til the end of March, right around the time of the Gundam Anime Corner’s 8th Anniversary.  After that First Impression Friday’s might come back for a bit and I’ll continue on with more Toonami stories in the Summer, depends on how much I get through and how much I want to talk about.   Things kick off officially Next Friday with Toonami’s Anime beginnings with two 80’s Anime staples that got a new lease on life thanks to the audience it got from the new block on Cartoon Network.  Toonami Flashback Fridays begins with our look at Voltron and Robotech, right here at the Gundam Anime Corner.  See you then Dear Readers and Toonami Faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment