Wednesday, October 20, 2021

T5W#323-Top 5 Otakon 2021 Cosplays

While I could always do this as a follow up list to my Top 5 Convention Moments whenever they come around, I like to hold off on talking about cosplay at conventions until October for the most obvious reason: Halloween.  For Cosplayers, Halloween is a year round event with all the new cosplays they churn out every few weeks to months depending on the build.  While we’re not quite back to normal with the convention scene, Conventions have begun to resurface and with that, the many cosplayer playground to show off their stuff have returned.  And I’ve been waiting for a while to talk about some of the best ones I saw at my home convention.  Sorry to have kept ya waiting on this one, these are my Top 5 Otakon 2021 Cosplays.
 
#5-Casual Char
Who says the ultimate Gundam villain cant attend staff meetings and events in a pair of jeans?  I love this guys mask, particularly with the lenses that are both bad ass and creepy.  Overall, the mask and helmet are a nice reminder of why this Darth Vader inspired look as stayed so iconic over the years.  Fun Fact: This look was totally unintentional.  According to the cosplayer, the pants he was going to use never got to him in time…so he just did half of Char’s look instead.  Personally, this is a much more memorable and different take I had to put it on my list so cudos to the mistake that worked out in this guys favor.
 

#4-Ho Oh
I always see at least one bird like cosplay at a convention and I can only imagine the number of hours that go into making these bad boys as wide and expansive as can be.  I love the shimmering exterior and the natural interior.  If someone were to do some aerial shots of the cosplayer running up and down a hallway I bet the final results would look amazing.  Balancing the beauty of the wings is that killer head piece.  Ho Oh is one of Pokemon’s legendary birds for a reason and if it ever gazed at you like that, you’d know why it is not to be messed with.

 
#3-Chocobo
Once in a while you come across a cosplay like this.  It’s big, its of something cute and you can tell ti was made to be in everyones photos, either solo or with a crowd of people.  Even if you’ve never played a Final Fantasy game or know what a Chocobo is, this Chocobo cosplay is too ridiculously adorable not to squee over and get a photo op with.  Actually, the several times I passed by this cosplay in the hallway I don’t think it was every alone.  Everyone wanted a photo or a hug from this big yellow birdy.

 
#2-Maiyuri Kurotsuchi
When it comes to the cast of Bleach and Cosplay, there are several faces you always see at cons: Ichigo, Rukia, Hitsugaya, loooots of Rangiku (not as much as Ichigo but still).  Every con or so you might spot and Uliquora or Grimjow in the mix.  But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Kurotsuchi before.  His look is terrifying and constantly changing throughout the Anime, particularly when it comes to his face.  There are so many looks you could draw from and this cosplayer was able to bring out the terrifying creepiness that comes with this mad Captain of the soul Reapers.  Pennywise and Jason have some competition from this killer scientist for sure.
 

#1-Naraku

One of my best friends, Maria, is a HUGE Inuyasha fan and she and her husband have cosplayed Inuyasha and Kagome many times (theyre so cute).  When Maria told me she was putting together this classic Naraku ensemble, I was curious.  When I saw it in person after a much needed reunion hug with her and her husband, I was blown away.  She likes Cosplay builds like this and Maria was having a blast being recognized in this very rarely seen form of Naraku at cons.  As a bonus, she even had a fake severed arm that belongs to Inuyasha’s brother, Sesshomaru, and discretely offered it to anyone who took a photo with her before they realized that they were actually grasping.  It was gold everytime, this look was so awesome and without a doubt my favorite cosplay from Otakon 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment