Wednesday, February 3, 2021

T5W#286-Top 5 Longer/Future Titles I’m Considering for the Gundam Anime Corner

Normally when choosing what to review here at the Gundam Anime Corner, I tend to stick to a standard 13-26 episode series or an OVA in and around the same length (if not shorter).  I usually only tend to do much longer titles (50 episodes or more) during the summer for my Extended Summer Series.  With my new two review a week schedule though, I’m now open to potentially doing more with those longer shows if I can review them fast enough, Macross back in January was kind of a test of the waters.  I’m always looking ahead to what I want to watch and share my thoughts with here on the blog and there are much longer titles I have been dying to get to for years and today I’m gonna share some ideas on the Top 5 Longer/Future Titles I’m Considering for the Gundam Anime Corner.  Since 2021’s schedule is pretty much full and about 80% complete, the earliest we’ll see some of these options is in 2022…but we will get to them, trust me. 

#5-Sailor Moon (The Original Series)

I half joked with a friend at Katsucon about reviewing this and she reminded me of how long Sailor Moon really is.  This would be my largest undertaking to date.  Forget back to back Gundam Seed titles, Sailor Moon is comprised of 5 Seasons (Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon R, Sailor Moon S, Sailor Moon Super S and Sailor Moon Sailor Stars) with a grand total of exactly 200 episodes.  That’s daunting and chances are I would spread this out over the course of a year like ive done with Slayers and Full Metal Panic.  And I’d also have to track down the entire series (though I think it’s all on Hulu).  Also, I’m specifying the Original Series because Crystal probably isn’t done yet.  Theyre doing Sailor Moon Super S as a two part movie so who knows if they’ll get to Sailor Stars.  POINT IS…Sailor Moon, on this blog, should have happened ages ago and that needs to change.

 

#4-Eureka Seven

This ones been sitting on my shelf and I don’t think I’ve watched it since I bought it.  Eureka Seven was one of those shows I saw being posted on YouTube in college so I have seen it all through once.  It’s been years since then and I’ve often considered maybe making this my Extended Summer Series Review when there isn’t a Gundam show to look at (more on that in a second).  Eureka Seven is a pretty unique mecha title with a love story front and center and featuring giant robots that surf the skies rather than fly.  Oh and there’s also aliens and a rebel xtreme sports faction battling an evil empire or something idk.  I remember this being fondly remembered and hugely popular so I’ll keep it in the “maybe” list for a while…along with Samurai Champloo and Ouran High School Host Club, God I’ll never get to those.

 

#3-Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

2021 is going to be a pretty big Gundam year.  Year 8 will kick off with Mobile Fighter G Gundam; Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans will be our Extended Summer Series for the year; and we’ll be closing out the year with Zeta and ZZ back to back.  If ive looked at the list of Gundam I’ve covered over the years (and I have) that leaves little left to cover here on the Gundam Anime Corner.  One of those cornerstones is the last of the classic Gundam series I have never seen: Mobile Suit Victory Gundam.  I was actually hoping to have gotten this series by Christmas for a surprise review in March…buuuuut one half is lost in the mail and I don’t know when it will get here.  Still, 2022 could easily be the year this series joins its Gundam brethren here.  Hell I might even break my every other year Gundam rule for the Extended Summer Series block and just knock it out Summer 2022…only time will tell.

 

#2-Fullmetal Alchemist & Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Ok, this is most definitely happening.  I recently got ahold of the OG Fullmetal Alchemist series and I’ve had Brotherhood for ages.  If memory serves, I’ve seen FMA at least twice and Brotherhood once all the way through.  Well, the time has come to answer the age old Otaku debate: which one do I like more?  I’m pleased to announce that I’m penciling this in for 2022 in a way I had originally intended for Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny.  2022 will be bookended by Fullmetal Alchemist in January 2022 and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood in December 2022.  This is almost as ambitious as the Sailor Moon review idea, heck I’d probably watch and review both shows back to back so I can keep everything fresh.  Wont lie, been a while since I was this excited about a far off idea.

 

#1-The Summer of Tenchi (Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Universe & Tenchi in Tokyo)

This past Christmas, I was gifted a copy of the complete Tenchi Universe series.  While on vacation, I watched the first few episodes and almost cried.  I had no idea how much I loved Tenchi Muyo or how much I missed it and it made me long for the days of the Summer of 2000 when Toonami ran the first 2 OVA series, Tenchi Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo back to back (basically all the Tenchi there was at the time).  So…yeah, why not try to induldge in those memories again?  This is a prime candidate for the Extended Summer Series block: All three Tenchi shows that we’re shown on Toonami.  Yes I know, it’s three separate shows but hey I did Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works back to back for an ESS a couple of years back.  Who knows, maybe I’ll cry a bit more revisiting these old memories of the luckiest bachelor in the galaxy with the Harem Anime that defined Harem Anime.

No comments:

Post a Comment