Wednesday, April 5, 2017

T5W#86-Top 5 Favorite Non Gundam Mobile Suits


Here we are at the first T5W of Gundam Month Mark II.  And I’m actually going to dedicate it to the non Gundams of the multiverse.  As much as we love the titular Mobile Suit, it isn’t the only one in existence out there.  There are hundreds, if not thousands, of other models out there that are just as cool and sometimes even a tad superior depending on the series.  A lot of these aren’t even mass produced models.  Several are tailor made to their specific pilots.  But I’ll get to them and the others ones that always stood out for me.  So here they are, my Top 5 Favorite Non Gundam Mobile Suits.

 

#5: AGX-04 Gerbera-Tetra (Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory)
Fun fact, this was originally supposed to be a Gundam.  Yep, during the big Gundam Project seen in 0083, the Gebera-Tetra was originally built to be the Gundam Unit 04.  However, Cima Garahau (in her only really attractive outfit) managed to coax it into her hands and give it a Zeon spin.  So technically it’s not a Gundam but it’s still pretty sleek in it’s design.  Plus it comes with a giant chaingun and moves fast as hell.  It’s a shame it only got to sortie once...and that it never made it’s way into Anavel Gato’s hands but that’s for a later discussion.

 

#4: MSN-04 Sazabi (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack)
I’m usually not one for super bulky suits.  However, I’ll make an exception for this one as it feels like the culmination of Char Mobile Suits.  The Red Comet had this war machine custom made, as with all of his other suits, but this one isn’t a mass produced type, it’s all his.  I don’t know why he didn’t slim it down but again, I don’t care.  This suit screams Captain type and it looks like the figure head to lead an army.  Plus it wasn’t a pushover as it gave Amuro Ray’s Nu Gundam quite the fight in the Char’s Counterattack finale.

 

#3: OZ-00MS Tallgeese (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing)
This slot could have been filled by the later Tallgeese III from Endless Waltz (Which took the best parts of Wing Gundam Zero and Gundam Epyon and merged them with a new model suit).  However, the classic always sticks out to me.  This isn’t just the prototype for all the other suits to come in the After Colony Era, it’s also their freaking king.  With this, I saw that something was actually capable of standing up to a Gundam and couldn’t just be swatted away like a Leo or and Aries.  Plus, it looks like it is a total bitch to master.  Just look at how stressed Zechs Merquise is taking it into battle.  It takes a real pilot to get behind the controls of this one.

 

#2: RGM-89 Jegan (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack and Mobile Suit Gundam F91)
The original Gundam series didn’t give a lot of variety to the Federation Mobile Suits.  The generally used GM’s were kind of meh.  Thankfully, their designs got better as time went by and that culminated in the sleek and stellar looking Jegan suits.  Not only is the name cool but these look way more futuristic military than anything seen before.  The first time I saw these things in action, I actually wanted to pilot one as much as I wanted to pilot a Gundam (and I can in Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3).  It was a suit so bad ass it stayed in service for over 30 years, first seen (to my knowledge) in UC 0093 and last seen in UC 0123, the year Gundam F91 takes place.  I doubt it’s still in use in UC 0153 during Victory Gundam but I’m sure it would still eclipse any normal Mobile Suit from that era.

 

#1: MS-07B Gouf (Mobile Suit Gundam) & MS-07B-3 Gouf Custom (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team)
Both models get a shout out from me here.  Both have great, stand out designs and both have amazing pilots to go with them.  Ramba Ral’s original from 0079 was the first really terrifying opponent the Gundam had to face after waves of Zakus.  “This is NO ZAKU!!!” Ral declares and yep he backs that up with improved movement and weapons offered to this blue devil.  Norris’ Gouf Custom in 08th MS Team was the perfect follow up.  Not only did it move a lot better (cause of design and animation quality), but it was capable of taking on a small squad singlehandedly.  Even the 08th MS Team combined had trouble taking it out.  Goes to show that a Gundam might strike fear into the hearts of the bad guys, but the bad guys have some aces of their own and they will never let you forget them.

1 comment:

  1. A good list dude, out of it my favorites are the Tallgeese and RGM-89. The RM looks like a natural evolution of the GM model and has a real military feel to it. The Tallgeese is the Tallgeese I mean come on. I'm not as much a fan of the other suits, the Gouf is cool but Char and the #5 choice look a little bulky and don't quite stand out.

    I know in my top five non-Gundam suits, I'd have the Zaku and Leo in there. Zaku because it's got such a iconic design, plus cool Cylon eye! The Leo I know isn't anybody's favorite but I really always like the Mobile Suit designs that feel like real military vehicles. The Leo fits that bill. Not sure what three other suits to pick but sure I could find something.

    Great Top 5 dude!

    ReplyDelete