Wednesday, September 7, 2016

T5W#56-Top 10 Favorite Anime Movies (Part 1)


I’ve been thinking about doing this one for a while.  When it comes to making a list of favorite Anime films, just narrowing it down to five options is the toughest of challenges.  So I decided to do something special instead.  Rather than just five favorites, I’ll do ten and split them up between now and next week.  Besides, things have changed since the early days I tried to come up with a list like this.  I’ve seen more titles, found more favorites.  Well they’ll all be featured in this two part special.  Without further ado, here’s movies 6-10.

 

#10- Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
Given my love for Gundam, one of it’s many movie entries had to make onto my list somehow (it is my blogs namesake after all).  Char’s Counterattack still remains my gold standard for the best Gundam experience.  The story is excellent, the action is on a scale that has become a standard for me, and it closes out years worth of excellent Gundam storytelling.  Whether you route for Amuro or Char to come out on top, there’s no real definitive side to stand on (ok more so Amuro’s cause no one wants a destroyed Earth…come on Char).  Many Gundam entries would follow this film, both movie and TV series alike, and would attempt to replicate the success of Char’s Counterattack…I still haven’t seen a Gundam movie, or show for that matter, that tops it.

 

#9-Cowboy Bebop-Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
By the time I was a junior in high school, Cowboy Bebop was an Anime that had become family to me.  When the series ended, I had a little hole in my Anime heart.  Where would I go from there having watched one of the greatest Anime of all time?  The answer was, lots of different places.  But that also made going to see the Bebop Movie all the more special.  The film plays a lot like a high school reunion.  And because it takes place before the end of the series, it gives us a reason to watch Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed and Ein partake in one more adventure.  The villain is scary, the action is more everyday than over the top and the pacing and scale remind you all the time that this isn’t a two part episode, this is a movie level event and the kind of flick Cowboy Bebop always deserved.

 

#8- Ninja Scroll
When most people would ask me in the past, what Anime film id recommend to them, it used to be four instant choices that came to mind.  All of them are on this list but Ninja Scroll is the one I would go to if anyone wanted to see off the rails, action packed, bloody good time Anime.  The sword play and demon slaying action is still some of the best in the genre even today.  The enemies Jubei faces are inventive and all distinct from one another.  There’s even a samurai who is simply blind and good at using his surroundings.  The final battle might not be the best ever.  But this is still one of the most mature, sex and violence rampant Anime ever in existence (I know there are far darker examples).  This was the movie we all wanted to see as kids when we first got into Anime, the one our parents would have gawked at and grounded us for…and if I had seen it then, it would have been worth the grounding.

 

#7-Ghost in the Shell
If Ninja Scroll shows Anime at it’s most action packed, Ghost in the Shell is Anime at it’s most thought provoking.  When I first saw Ghost in the Shell, I was a little let down.  For this being the film that inspired The Matrix, there wasn’t a lot of action.  But that actually convinced me to watch it again and appretiate both the asthetic and philosophical storytelling elements that DID inspire The Matrix to great degrees.  Motoko, Batou, Togusa and Aramaki became instant memorable characters in my Anime viewing history.  And I was also introduced to the surreal style of movie making that was director Mamoru Oshii.  It’s dark, serene, at times surprisingly peaceful, something I hadn’t really felt from a lot of cybertech stories before.  And that score from Kenji Kawaii…so good.

 

#6-Princess Mononoke
I wish I had known, way back when, when I first saw this movie, just how special this movie actually was.  Today, I see Princess Mononoke as a pinnacle of Anime storytelling.  It’s Hayao Miyazaki at his best, with amazing animation, surprisingly violent action, memorable characters, a legendary score and a message that speaks to the heart of pretty much everything.  Many have hailed Princess Mononoke as one of, if not THE, greatest Anime of all time.  It’s hard to argue why.  Granted, this sits at #6 cause I like other titles better.  But please don’t let that discount how amazing this movie is.  We’ve only gotten a few really good Anime like this at rare times in history.  Watch it and find out why it’s so freaking legendary.

Check back next week for #s 5-1.  Guess that makes this a...To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment