Wednesday, February 3, 2016

T5W#25-Top 5 Items to Get at Anime Convention


Part 2 of our three part convention themed T5W’s, this week we’re looking at five items I prioritize whenever I head to a convention: Katsucon, Otakon or otherwise.  I am aware that this list might differ greatly, they may even be a different 5 altogether.  I do think the #1 is one that we can mostly agree on.  But let’s look at the rest shall we?

 

#5-DVD’s/Blu-Ray’s

Chances are, you’re coming to a convention with a particular favorite series or movie you’ve just seen.  Well chances are equally high that you’ll find that title or a slew of classics within the Dealer’s Room.  There are dozens of vendors, all selling sets for different prices. I prioritize this low on the list because (as much as I personally enjoy building up my video library), there are other more important items to immortalize your trip.  That being said, never hesitate to get your favorite series on Blu Ray (for me that’s finally getting FLCL this year).

 

#4-Swords

One of the best things about conventions is the fact that with the right item, you can look like a wandering Samurai.  Wooden replica swords are my preferable purchase for a couple of reasons.  One, I should be anywhere near a real sword for fear of slicing my hand open accidentally.  And two, real steel is actually not permitted when walking around.  Normal policies are, once you buy a real sword you have to remove it from the con pronto-stash it in your room or take it to your car or get it mailed to your house.  Wooden swords (so long as theyre not sheathed or you’ll be stopped every five steps by staff) are acceptable for taking with you anywhere around the convention.  I’ve already amassed a collection of Tensa Zangetsu’s.  I wonder what my next blade of choice will be?

 

#3-Plushies

You have to be an absolute monster to not have one favorite cute little sidekick in an Anime.  Be it Happy, Totoro, Guts or Ryo-Ohki, you just want to somehow make them real and hug em to death.  Well Plushies are the closest you’ll get to that.  Various sizes, various styles.  Heck if you even want to hug your favorite major character, they have small huggable figures for them as well.  Unleash you chibi side and maybe show one off to other con goers.  You’d be surprised of a Happy hanging around your wrist (his tail is a loop) can be a good conversation starter.

 

#2-Anything from the Artist Alley

Keychains, pins, paintings.  These little items are all items from the hearts of fans.  The people selling their craft in the Artist Alley have put so much time and effort into sharing their gifts and love of anime with you.  It’s only right you should show some support for them.  And who knows, you might find one items that means a lot to you that no official merch can offer.  The next generation of Anime minds exists in this room.  Even if you don’t buy anything, be sure to shake a hand or two and tell them what a great job theyre doing.

 

#1-Lots of Photos


Unless you’re getting an autographed picture from a special guest, this is the one item that is virtually free.  All you need is a camera, a decent memory card and battery and a character you love, or friend youre traveling with.  My photo count has steadily gone up each convention.  Everyday I’m snapping hundreds of photos at a time of the cosplay, the guests, even the con setting itself if its gorgeous enough.  Memories.  Those are the best items you can come away with from an Anime Convention.  And the photos just immortalize those good times.  I never want to forget my experiences and I never want to stop sharing those phots with friends.  If there’s a convention I’m headed to, be damn sure I’ll be snapping shots like a happy go lucky tourist.  Best…gift…ever…

See ya next Wednesday, the day before Katsucon, for the final part of this three part special.

No comments:

Post a Comment