Wednesday, November 30, 2016

T5W#68-Top 5 Reactions to the Code Geass Season 3 Announcement


A few days ago, the unthinkable happened. During the celebration of the 10th Anniversary of Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion…it had finally come to pass as Studio Sunrise announced the production of a THIRD SEASON of Code Geass, entitled Code Geass: Lelouch of the Resurrection.  Now, there was a lot to process when it came to hearing this.  So I figured for this weeks Top 5, I’d break down my thoughts through my five first reactions…all varying degrees of optimism and WTF?!

 

#5-Surprise/Seriously?
It was a prank.  I mean it had to be right?  Crunchyroll or wherever I saw it first was trolling me.  But then Anime News Network and others started confirming the news.  It was for real…it is going to happen.  And in truth, most of me still doesn’t believe it is actually happening.  But the articles still continue to pour in.  This is happening, whether I think it’s a good idea or not.

 

#4-Curiosity
Lelouch will be the star and the story will take place years after Zero Requiem?  I had heard theories that Lelouch may have somehow cheated death at the end of Code Geass R2 but there were sketchy theories at best.  Still, even as shocked as I was at the announcement, I did have to wonder for a moment what the story would be, who would be back and how the hell Lelouch will be involved.  I think Kallen, Suzaku and Jeremiah have all been confirmed to return for the sequel.  Will Lelouch and Suzaku be on opposite sides?  What about C.C.?  If she’s not involved does that mean Lelouch and Kallen might have a thing yet to come?  These are random questions but nonetheless they are questions that need answering.

 

#3-But…that ending
Say what you will about the overall quality of the show, but few will dispute that Code Geass has one of the very best conclusions of any Anime.  The power of the final scene with Suzaku slaying Lelouch and Nunally cradling her dying brother, finally understanding his plan is just heartbreaking but incredibly brilliant.  As I said in my closing review of the series this past summer “You felt this one, as bad as the sword piercing Lelouch.  You heard every silent scream, felt every tear shed by Kallen, Suzaku and Nunally.  Really, you couldn’t have asked for a more perfect ending than this scene.  Cap it all off with a fun little montage of peace in full effect and you can write this series off as done and well done.”  So…with that refresher, why tempt fate and try to continue what probably should be left well alone…except maybe for spin offs and compilation movies (they confirmed 3 are coming out as a prepper for the new season).

 

#2-I Must Keep An Open Mind…
No, not because Lelouch Vi Britannia commands me to with his Geass, but because in the end, it is Code Geass.  While it’s not as high as Gundam, Dragon Ball Z and Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass is still one of my all time favorite Anime series and even the bad parts (like the Chinese Federation Arc) are bearable because you know it gets good in a great way.  And if Code Geass R2 could survive that, then even if Lelouch of the Resurrection is terrible 60% of the way, there’s a chance that the remaining 40% will blow me away.  I gotta have faith that this isn’t just a desperate cash grab and that the showrunners have a well thought out continuation in mind…that being said, however…

 

#1-I Have a Bad Feeling About This
This was the very first thought.  All my optimism and speculation I spoke of above came well after this.  You really want to try and top one of the best Anime endings ever?  Much like Blade Runner 2049 coming next year, I’m approaching Code Geass Season 3 with a lot of caution.  This just doesn’t seem like a good idea and the creators will have to throw a hail mary my way in order to convince me that this is the right course for the series to take after all this time.  The last thing I think we all need is another Dragon Ball GT or Madoka Magica 3: Rebellion…a continuation/extended ending so horrific that we all wish they could just be erased from history (and in GT’s case it was erased with the arrival of Dragon Ball Super).  I know a lot of people are excited and I might get there…just not right at this second.

No comments:

Post a Comment